These cookies have black pepper in them, which seems an odd ingredient for cookies. But the unexpected twist hints at something just a little out of the ordinary. Believe me, they are delicious! How can we tell ? There's only spicy crumbs rattling around in the bottom of the cookie tin and we only baked them yesterday! My nephew says they go great with milk... I found them tasty with a nice cup of coffee. And I think they'd be awesome as an accompaniment with ice cream drizzled with strawberries.
Spicy Oatmeal Crisps
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp grated whole nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup packed brown sugar
5 Tbsp butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup regular rolled oats
* * * * *
Preheat oven to 350 F
1. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cups; level with a knife.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour with the next 7 ingredients.
3. Beat sugar, butter and vanilla in a large bowl with mixer until fluffy.
4. Add egg; beat well.
5. Stir in the flour mix, as well as the oats.
6. Drop by level tablespoons 2" apart onto greased or sprayed baking sheets.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp.
8. Cool on pans 1-2 minutes or until mostly cool.
9. Don't leave longer - they'll break, so finish cooling on a wire rack.
10. Store in cookie tin (if there's any left, that is)
Yield: 2 dozen
Here's to the sweet -- and spicy -- things in life!