Join me in the fun of deciding which you prefer when it comes to Christmas favourites.
1. Hot Chocolate or apple cider? Hot Chocolate topped with whipped cream and chocolate shavings!
2. Turkey or Ham? Turkey with Mom's stuffing (lots of it).
3. Do you get a fake or real-you-cut-it-yourself Christmas tree? It's a real fake one (ha ha).
4. Decorations on the outside of your house? Lights on the house, a wreath on the door, red bows on trellises.
5. Snowball fights or sleddin’? Sleddin' (although it's been a while since I've done that. Snowball fights were a menace to glasses).
6. Do you enjoy going downtown shopping? I used to enjoy downtown shopping -- loved the festive ambiance. Don't often go there now.
7. Favorite Christmas song? That's too hard to narrow down; it depends what grabs my heart and fancy on a particular year. Sacred: Joy to the World; Secular: Sleigh Ride would be right up there.
8. How do you feel about Christmas movies? I like them - love The Bishop's Wife, the old Bing Cosby ones (White Christmas, Going My Way, Bells of St. Mary), While You Were Sleeping, You've Got Mail. I also enjoy movies that add to the ambiance, but aren't necessarily Christmas, e.g. Anne of Green Gables.
9. When is it too early to start listening to Christmas music? I ask you, is it ever too early? Although I do tend to get in the mood more in the autumn, rarely in spring or summer.
10. Stockings before or after presents? After presents.
11. Go to someone else’s house or they come to you? My house this year.
12. Do you read the Christmas Story? If so when? I love the Christmas Story from Luke 2, King James Version (what I grew up on). I love to read and ponder, like Mary, throughout December.
13. What do you do after presents and dinner? Sit around and visit, snooze, play games, nibble.
14. What is your favorite holiday smell? The spicy smells of cinnamon and cloves; the turkey cooking on Christmas Day
15. Ice skating or walking around the mall? Walking, but I enjoy watching the skaters.
16. Do you open a present or presents on Christmas Eve, or wait until Christmas day? Our family tradition until siblings started getting married (needing to go to in-laws) was to open our presents on Christmas Eve, but now we wait until Christmas Day.
17. Favorite Christmas memory? As a young child, sitting in the darkened living room on a quiet evening watching the tree lights while my mom made supper in the kitchen. I felt cozy and safe.
18. Favorite part about winter? Snow, short days and early twilights, that Christmas is in the middle of it!
19. Ever been kissed under mistletoe? Haven't put any up lately, but I think so (unless it was in my dreams).
Isn't it fun to think about Christmas... I LOVE it!