Here are some things that help me make my 'awake' time more beautiful and peaceful:
- Don't fret that you're awake. I refuse to worry about how I'll feel in the morning, because no matter what, God said He'd give me new mercies every day - I figure that includes energy for what I need to do in the morning.
- Enjoy the quiet of the night. In the summer time, it's amazing how early the robins start up their morning vespers (between 3:30 and 4:00 am).
- Read a little. Something from my current book, nothing requiring too close thinking. Maybe a Psalm that comforts or gives peace.
- Journal about what's on your mind. Sometimes all I'll do is jot a list of things that start nattering as soon as I'm conscious. (These natterings are a little like in the cartoon where the pet jumps on the bed to pull open the owner's eyelids -- hey, are you awake in there?)
- Pray. For yourself, for the people on your mind. Ask God to protect them as they sleep.
- Make a piece of toast. It smells comforting when the rest of the world snores away (especially if the night isn't feeling particularly friendly, which sometimes it does not).
- Check your blog or Facebook. This is not to while away time restlessly, but to see if someone has posted something that will soothe your 'fevered brow'. Post your own soothing message for other insomniacs.You'll be amazed at how many other nocturnal un-sleeping friends you'll see!
- Leave a soft light on. Sometimes I 'trick' myself by leaving the lamp on as if I'm going to read. Funny how quickly my eyes get the desire to close. Just try to stay awake, and the next thing you feel the book slipping from your hand as you nod off.
With a gentle kiss atop thy head,
thanks for reposting this, brenda....it was a timely find late last night when i was having trouble falling asleep :)ReplyDelete
Pam, How's that for 'timely' things! I was up late myself last night -- it wasn't about not getting to sleep. I just forgot to watch the time, and soon it was after midnight!ReplyDelete
I loved the last one - the 'trick'! I bet it actually works, too! Isn't the mind a funny thingReplyDelete
These are good tips! I wish I had come across them on one of my 3 am wake times, but now I know to come and look! I too try to pray for everyone that comes to mind, and I also went and read backlogs of helpful blogs, which did bring peace.ReplyDelete